A RECORD AND HISTORY OF THE FORMATION OF THE ANDRESEY LODGE No. 6408, IN THE PROVINCE OF STAFFORDSHIRE, AS RECORDED AT THE TIME BY THE LODGE SECRETARY,
W BRO E ROBINSON
In the first place, tribute must be paid to the Worshipful Master of the Abbey Lodge No. 624, W bro A E Reeve, for his initiative towards the formation of another daughter Lodge to the Abbey and Sister Lodge to St
He called a meeting of his Past Masters on May 8th 1946, when a resolution was passed ‘ that consideration be give to the advisability of sponsoring a new Lodge’.
At a special meeting of the Abbey Lodge Officers, held on May 31st 1946, this resolution was adopted, subject to the Willingness of the daughter Lodge,
St Modwens No. 4850, to co-operate, to which end, a letter was addressed by
W Bro Reeve to the Worshipful Master of St Modwens, W Bro G C Keen.
The Officers of St Modwens Lodge met on June 6th 1946 to consider the Abbey Lodge resolution and unanimously agreed to co-operate in the formation of the new Lodge.
A joint Committee was therefore formed from the two Lodges to proceed with the necessary arrangements.
After inviting suggestions from the Members of the Abbey and St Modwens Lodges as a suitable name for the new Lodge, the name ANDRESEY LODGE was adopted by the Committee as having the most historic association with the Abbey and St
Modwens, the patron Saint of Burton upon Trent.
A brief account of the association between the Isle of Andresey, St
Modwen, and later the Burton Abbey, is recorded. It will be noted that the Isle of Andresey is portrayed as the principal motif in the Badge adopted by the Lodge.
The Petition to Grand Lodge, supported by thirty seven Brethren was signed in open Lodge at the Regular Meeting of the Abbey Lodge held on October 1st 1946.
A Meeting of the Petitioners was held at the Town Hall, Burton upon Trent on
21st November 1946, to receive a Report from the Joint Founding Committee of the progress of the Petition, confirm provisional arrangements for the Consecration and nominations for the Officers, which appointments are normally made by the Lodge, to consider draft Bylaws, and to decide upon the form of Ritual to be adopted.
The Petition, duly blessed by the R W Provincial Grand Master, the
Rt. Hon. The Earl of Dartmouth, GCVO, Past Grand Warden, received the Assent of the MW Grand Master on December 4th 1946.