Presentations took place in April 1951 when W Bro Grainger presented the Lodge with a heavy
maul, and a full set of Working Tools in an oak cabinet, and W Bro W H Ride gave an oak stand for the Senior Deacon’s wand. Thanks were also expressed for the support of the members to the appeal for the rehanging of the bells at Burton Parish Church, which was effected on 26th October 1951.
H. H. Cherry was initiated 9th October 1951.
The 22nd January 1952 saw the first Ceremonious Visit paid by the Lodge to St
Modwens, the sister lodge. In June of that year, the wearing of white gloves resumed by the Burton Lodges, presumably because clothing coupons were a thing of the past for the first time since the war.
The same year saw the custom of presenting a Book of Constitutions, with the recipients name in gilt to the incoming Worshipful Master. An album to contain photographs of all Masters was presented by Bro L E Farmer, but unfortunately, this appears to have been lost, and the custom of presenting the gilt embossed Book of Constitutions discontinued.
In November 1953, an oak cabinet containing three Tracing Boards was presented to the Lodge by Bro L E Farmer, SW, and Bro S Forshall, SD. The Boards were framed watercolours painted by the same Mrs Biddulph, who had made the Banner.
Thus six years on, the Lodge could feel well and truly established.
Despite a few difficulties in the line of succession, causing Past Masters to take the Chair in 1952 and 1953, the Lodge prospered and in February 1954, extended an invitation to St Modwens Lodge to attend on a Ceremonious Visit. The following month, Brethren attended the Centenary Ceremony of the mother Lodge, the Abbey, held on 6th April 1954.
In November 1954, a report was presented on the successful negotiations with the Town Council by a joint committee of the three Lodges to provide better accommodation. The old Masonic hall in Union Street had been sold just before the war, on a promise by the Council that special facilities would be provided in the Town Hall. The war put a stop to that, and now the Council was reminded of its promise. A new room, known as the Conference Room was constructed suitable for Lodge Meetings, civil marriages and dances, under the supervision of the Borough Architect, Bro W Porter Mitchell, a joining member of this Lodge. The three Lodges authorised expenditure not exceeding £100.00 each for the provision of a gold chain for use by the Deputy Mayor in recognition of the help given by the Town Council. In the event, only £73:6s:8d per lodge was needed. January 10th 1956 saw the first Meeting of the Lodge in the new ‘Temple’. Prior to this, Lodges met in the ‘Annex’ which was now used solely for the Festive Board. Screens were placed across the middle of the longish room, the Lodge being held at one end. Tables and
a bar were set up in the other half. The Stewards had to serve both drinks and the meals through shortages of catering staff. For Installations, the whole of the Annex was utilised as the Temple, and the meal was served in the main hall. After provision of the Conference Room, the Annex was used for Installation meals, but this proved somewhat cramped and the Main Hall again came into its own. By this time the supper charge was 6s or £2:2s:0d for the full year, again with Installations excepted.
In December 1955, Officers’ Meetings were moved from Fridays to the Monday, the day before the Lodge Meeting, to enable rehearsals to take place in the Lodge Room. The Officers’ Meetings continued to be held in one of the Committee Rooms on the first floor. March 1956 saw Bro Sam Forshall installed, the first Initiate to reach the Chair.
October 1956 saw the presentation of a set of square and compasses for use on the VSL by W Bro Harold Bray. This particular meeting was held in the Council Chamber due to a booking mistake by the Council and
the meal was served in the Conference Room. A further mishap took place as the Worshipful Master, Sam Forshall, had left the Warrant at his home many miles away, and the Temporary Warrant could not be found. The Secretary of St Modwens Lodge, who was present, ‘loaned’ its Warrant secretly, and the meeting went ahead with most of those present none the wiser!
Two months later, authorisation was given for an equal contribution with the other two Lodges for refurbishment of the Lodge furniture, most of which actually belonged
to Abbey Lodge.
In November 1957, both St Modwens and Andresey paid a visit to Abbey, the mother Lodge. W Bro A S Methven joined 14th January 1958, which month also saw the receipt of a Certificate of Patronship from the Royal Masonic Hospital in acknowledgement of a contribution of fifty guineas. A further fifty guineas was sent in November of that year.
March 1958 saw the report of the death of the Consecrating Officer,
R W Bro. The Rt. Hon.Earl of Dartmouth, Provincial Grand Master, an Honorary Member. This was followed in the November by the death of
W Bro. Col Sir John Kent, Dep.Prov.GM, also an Honorary Member, who had taken a leading role at the Consecration.
At the Meeting in March 1959, Bro E A Wright was installed as Worshipful Master. At the age of 30 years and 7 months, this was a record
for the Lodge, since unequalled. He was also the youngest in the Province. During his year in office, he arranged for the first time in the Lodge, to work parts of the Lectures, in this case, the First and Seventh parts of the First Lecture.